Monday, August 2, 2010

Bacon, Linguini & Tomato Toss




I like bacon. It is magical. Bibbidy bobbidy BACON! I also like Jim Gaffigan - if you haven't watched the clip above, please do so now. It's ok, I'll wait.............. Funny, right? 


I'm trying yet another brand new recipe today from Pampered Chef. I guess I'm partial to them because I had one of the most amazing desserts ever at a Pampered Chef party (I'll make it and post the recipe, promise)!



The ingredients - I didn't have linguine so I subbed in thin spaghetti. So shoot me. I also used the entire package of bacon. You should definitely shoot me for that one. 




Chop up an onion. Try not to cry. If you cry, blame Sarah Palin. I like to blame her for all my troubles.




Chop up the bacon into bite size pieces, then fry it up in a large pot. Once browned, drain bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Pour off most of the bacon grease.




Dump in the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. 




Once the onion is cooked through and soft, pour in the warmed both and tomatoes, salt, half the bacon, and pasta. Cover and simmer for nine minutes. Take off heat, stir in cream cheese and parsley. Let sit, covered for five minutes. Nice things with happen.



Hello, lover.




Serve topped with remaining bacon, parsley, and Parmesan cheese.



Dig in!




Bacon, Linguini and Tomato Toss

12 slices bacon, divided
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans (14.5 oz each) Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 medium onion
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
12 oz uncooked linguine pasta
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, divided
4 oz cream cheese
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
halved grape tomatoes (optional)
 

Slice bacon crosswise into 1/4-in. strips. Place into 12-in. Skillet; cook over medium-high heat 8-9 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from Skillet; drain on paper towels. Drain Skillet, leaving 1 tbsp dripping in Skillet.
 

Meanwhile, place broth and diced tomatoes in large bowl. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 6-8 minutes or until hot; carefully remove from microwave. On clean Cutting Board, finely chop onion. Return Skillet to heat; add garlic pressed with Garlic Press and pepper flakes, if desired. Cook 10-20 seconds or until fragrant. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Carefully add broth mixture, pasta, half of the bacon and salt. Simmer covered, 9-10 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked but still firm, stirring occasionally.
 

Finely chop parsley; reserve 1 tbsp for garnish. Cut cream cheese into cubes. Grate Parmesan cheese. Cut grape tomatoes in half, if using. Remove Skillet from heat. Stir in remaining parsley, cream cheese and grape tomatoes, if desired. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until pasta is tender and sauce is thickened. Serve with remaining bacon, Parmesan cheese and reserved parsley.

Yield: 6 servings

1 comment:

  1. It was delicious! Still good the next day as leftovers for lunch! The whole dish was delicious even without the bacon, but I still found myself playing a game of "find the bacon in the noodles."

    ReplyDelete